Friday 14 April 2017

A friend in time


Due to my limited access - omaverweg only in English today! 

Chance encounter

After a long sit from Schiphol, Amsterdam to Shanghai, a shortish sleep at the hotel and a delicious meal at the airport before continuing my journey to Auckalnd New Zealand, I thought it a good idea to take a walk. All that sitting isn't good for the circulation and a bit of activity might also help to catch a wink or 40 on the flight.

This airport is not as big as Singapore or Hongkong. It is very modern and it's architecture reminds me of the airport in Taipei. The shops too were mainly of perfums and very expensive bags. Limited in variety- so I was quickly done and dusted as far as window shopping was concerned. I had hoped for a nail bar or massage miment. So that could be something worth developing here. ( a tip for the authority of this airport 😊)

I decided to redo the circuit only now I walked against the tide. Quite fun to actually find ways to 'waste' time. A voice behind me persistently called out, "ma'am, ma'am" when I realised the person calling actually meant me! A lady, clad in comfortable travel gear ( well I presumed it was comfortable) approached me, hand outstreched clutching something. "Ma'am, weren't you just looking for the WiFi code? Here it is, I found it by that computer pillar thing." I had no idea at first what she meant. Till I saw the bit of paper in her hand. It was the beginning of a lovely walk, conversation and 'speed date getting to know you," which was most gratifying. A friend in and  for a minute!

Diane was on her way from the middle of Canada to visit her pregnant daughter in Australia. So we two omas chatted about the situations we were in, with regard to ' children leaving the nest' in a more drastic manner- by immigrating. Or, as in my case, returning home to the land of my birth. Accepting that the distance would be one only to cross every 18-24 months to spend time with my (grand) children.

This 'omaverweg' too had a saving scheme built in so she could 'pop over' to visit. Now though, the impending arrival was a surprise. Daughter being pregnant with baby number 1 and being a bit under the weather, Diane thought her motherly skills and huggybarms might just be the medicine her daughter needed to see the last weeks through.

And so we talked, walked and shared. This is what I call one of life's golden moments.
A gift I will cherish and can so appreciate it's timing.

Omaverweg needs gifts like this occasionally to add to her collection.

Ttfn, till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment