Thursday 27 October 2022

Being right can sometimes be wrong!

 



Ethics are the standard of what is right and wrong, and they are based on our values
. Being ethical requires making a moral judgment, and that's not always easy. Ethical behavior takes courage and has to be practiced.
A heavy subject today- somehow I needed to get it 'Out of my head'

I don't know who wrote that. Found this highly philosophical statement while looking up the rights and wrongs, or some sort of analyses about this phenomena we humans seem to struggle with.

Who is right and who is wrong? Why do we always want to have a clear cut answer? Do we, as individuals, aways need assurance that whatever our stance in any controversy, is your or my right better than that of the other person?

Political parties have this down off pat. That's why I think we have such a missmash of ideals, failed proposals and half developed laws and new legislation, which when the other party takes over the reins after an election, overturns some of these newly set out plans because they are deemed: Wrong for 'our people/country'. And we will never know how right or wrong the decisions would have been.

Bring it a bit closer to home: A difference of opinion about the alterations planned for a home. A couple, knowing they are going to have to spend a large amount of money on their investment struggle to come to a compromise about the color scheme outside. Something that will impact both of them every time they arrive at the home. Being confronted all the time with something you just, not even like, but are strongly against. Instead of looking at an alternative, they struggle and argue, inflicting pain on each other in their relationship, just because they both can't let go of their 'I'm right that will look awful and spoil the look of our home". I say ditch both those colors and go for something new.

Or any other personal conflict for that matter. I've heard a friend say that her husband accuses her of always wanting to be right! Accuses, mind you! Hello. How about thinking there may be another way of looking at an issue? How about respect for someone's opinion, vision and look on life without it having to be right or wrong?

I have noticed, maybe it was always so, but since the pandemic hit our world, there is a lot of "I'm right- you are wrong" issues. And on a larger scale, the wars that rage are about being 'right' by both parties. Each an onslaught, attack, infringement of rights ( there's that word again) in the sense of personal safety and wellbeing.

I'm not right - and I am not wrong, I have shaped ideals, visions, opinions during my lifetime which undergo, and continue to do so, changes as time, experiences and new insights occur.  So maybe next year when I go back and read this, I may totally disagree with myself: Well, to stay in the vain of the writing- I may just say to myself, " that's one way of looking at it".




Be good.          Be kind.          Keep smiling.


No comments:

Post a Comment