Sunday 9 October 2022

What an interesting conversation

 

Yesterday I had a most interesting conversation with a friend I hadn't been able to visit for 3-1/2 years due to the travel restrictions in place caused by the health issues the world grappled with over recent years.

I felt this gif image was most appropriate considering the contents of the conversation. It left me wondering and neither one of us came to any real conclusion.



I have two home countries. I have lived half my life in New Zealand and half in the country of birth, the Netherlands. Due to the length of time in both countries I have made life long friends on both continents. I treasure their presence in my life and appreciate each one in their own right. Some of these friends are like me, have two home countries. And the conversation yesterday was with a Dutch friend who now lives in New Zealand permanently and has recently also had a reunion with family 'back home'. Our conversation, after pleasantries re-acquainting ourselves after a long period, turned to the differences we noticed in each country in our absence.

My friend who had spent 10 weeks in the Netherlands had not been back for 8+years. I on the other had had been to New Zealand 3-1/2 years ago so the time difference was less for me than for her.

We decided on the 'What if" scenario. What if she was to return to the Netherlands in her retirement.
What if: I was to return to New Zealand for my retirement. 

We balanced the pros and cons, the care for the elderly, housing, political themes and general well being and public consensus. It would be nice to be able to say - we are both very satisfied with our situation. The issue of where and why is ever present. The thing is, it's the family ties and heritage that keeps bringing unsettled 'weather' into our well being you might say.

I am now staying with my family, my son and his partner and children. I also have a daughter in the same city and son in Australia with his family.

My friend has all her siblings 'back home'. Her life long friends and co-workers, cousins, aunts etc etc.

Now we aren't dissatisfied with our lives. We are healthy, content and are in a position to visit at reasonable time frames between visits. For now. Both retired, both used to the long haul it takes to get to 'the other side' of the globe. The check list of 'where better' is incomplete. It will more than likely always stay that way. I really enjoyed ( yes I did) the delving into the whys, whats and wherefores. Counting our blessings as we went.

So I'll finish with this quote which I found quite interesting. Thanks for reading and spending time with me on my blog.


   

 Virginia Satir (26 June 1916 – 10 September 1988) was an American author and psychotherapist, recognized for her approach to family therapy.

If you want to know what I get up to living in the Netherlands- join me on YouTube. 

My channel is called OmaFarAway.



Be good.        Be Kind.          Keep smiling

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful blog! Thank you for sharing! I can imagine the heart strings that are pulled! 💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's neither good nor bad - happy nor sad! But a constant reminder is ever present.

      Delete