Monday 21 November 2022

Changes can be eye openers!


World wide fuel prices are being affected. Gas, power, coal. The snowball effect is that food prices have risen. Cost of living rose along with it.  Wages haven't. Post pandemic the world seems to have fallen into a slump even though the dramatic death tolls have ceased, yes people still die, they always did and always will. Name any illness and some will not survive it. Wars keep raging, dissatisfaction reigns as does greed and animosity. Where is all this coming from? Or has it never been away since Adam and Eve and their curiosity for wanting more?

Today I wanted to write something cheery, then I saw the news about Poland being struck by a 'stray' missile? Was it Russia, was it the Ukraine? Was it a provoking action? Or a genuine 'wrong co-ordinates' from a stressed young soldier? Sigh....deep breath!

I am led to believe the fuel price situation is because of the war between Russia and the Ukraine. I am led to believe the shortage of staff in all sectors of society is due to the pandemic. 

And then there is the climate issue. Farmers appear to be the biggest target in many countries, including clean green New Zealand. 

Back to the pollution: Cows emit gas. Just look around you. Cars emit fumes, chimneys smoke. Factories pollute the air with their waste burn off. Not to mention lighting pollution at night- buildings are like Christmas trees with every light imaginable burning for no reason except that they can. Maybe I should care less?

I can't fix wars, I can't change the fuel and price crisis. In fact I can't fix any of the issues above - though I do have a responsibility as a human being to do whatever I can to promote and uphold human dignity, respect, love and compassion. I just wonder how to do this effectively. 

So I look for ways I can contribute to a better world. I avoid conflict by trying to be accepting, a peacemaker where possible and avoid conflicting situations. Offer a listening ear, a shoulder and smile and hug.

Pollution takes many forms. Yes I just flew half way across the world. To see my children and grandchildren. Until someone can "Beam me up Scotty" I'll continue to fly - so I need to take counter actions. How? By using my bike rather than car, by walking more, by cooking efficiently saving power. Recycling. Every little bit helps. We eat little meat, occasional fish and regularly vegetarian. A varied diet is healthier than a fad diet. Wearing thermal wear inside to save putting the heating up high. Walking a healthy circuit daily to keep my body in shape warding off illness needing medical care. There are so many ways one can make a difference, to one's circumstance both health wise and financially.

I read an article a few days ago in which people were interviewed how they are coping with increases in food and fuel prices. How they are managing to re-assess necessities against extras. The thing I noticed was people were choosing to go without or reducing their spending not on essentials but on extras.. Less monthly magazines ( most are online these days anyway - saves paper)! Going out for dinner less often. Opting for one car ownership instead of two. Reducing extra channels on tv. I got the feeling people with more financial means had been interviewed. Life is hard for those barely making ends meet. Where are their stories?

Maybe there is a family in your (my) street who could use a free meal every week. Cook something for that family- make contact, care, share! One way of making this world more habitable and caring is to reach out to our neighbor. Especially the ones we haven't met yet. 

Anyway, I just thought I'd get this off my chest, reset my caring clock and be more aware of how I can make a difference. Onward and upward to a more beautiful world.


Be good.       Be kind.         Keep smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment