Saturday 3 September 2022

It's all about WHAT IFs!

"Nothing to fear but fear itself".
Franklin D Rooseveld in his inaugural speech in 1933



Even I say that to friends when they entrust me with a fear, an insecurity or when faced with an unpleasant event. Why worry about something that is a figment of one's imagination, a reality only existing in one's mind?

The self imagined outcome of something over which one has no control. I recall that in my study period. Handing in an assignment. Already visualizing the perceived reaction from the lecturer or teacher. What if?

The recent years during COVID we have had many instances I am sure where WHAT IF scenarios played  a huge role in our state of mind.

WHAT IF: I get COVID and become ill?

WHAT IF: I am that ill I need to go to hospital?

WHAT IF: My mum, dad, brother sister, husband wife.....?

WHAT IF: I loose my job?

and I could go on and on, can't sell/buy a house, I don't get that job, mortgage, car!

My WHAT IF was: What if I can't get to see my children and grandchildren? What if travel becomes so expensive I can't afford the fare? What if the restrictions aren't removed? What if they become ill? I become ill? What if I don't get my papers uploaded onto the form? What if my QR code won't scan? What if I missed my flight, my connection, loose my luggage?

These What If's were a battle. I did manage to conquer many but must also admit to have to battle a few with more energy than I thought was needed. I think of myself as a positive-realist and normally can handle and deal with a WHAT IF moment quite rapidly. I think this time, because it touched and affected the most important people in my life, I didn't have the grip on each situation as I would have liked.

I can now say: All my fears were valid but not worth the energy I put into them. My WHAT IFs were ticked off one by one as I dealt with each issue.

I booked my flight - shocked at the price but could pay for it 👍

I got the paperwork sorted successfully without any of the feared hitches.

My flight was long, tiring and at times stressy- but I arrived on time.

My initial test after arrival was negative ( which was one thing I wasn't worried about) I just haven't ever had to undergo a test. So that's a first.

I haven't been ill. Nor has any of those I listed above.

I had a harrowing moment fearing I may miss my connecting flight- BUT didn't.

My suitcase and I left the airport together.


So now, a stress free visit to my family and friends is off to a good start. I aim to keep it that way.



Be good.     Be kind.     Keep smiling

No comments:

Post a Comment