Tuesday 14 November 2017

Het gaat echt gebeuren - It's all go!

Scroll down for the English version

Een van mijn ochtend rituelen is het kijken of er gedurende de nacht berichten binnen gekomen zijn uit Nieuw Zeeland en/of Australië. Terwijl ik slaap leven mijn kinderen en kleinkinderen erop los. De hele kleintjes snappen dat nauwelijks maar de ouderen zijn nu wel wijs genoeg om te begrijpen dat onze wereld een wereld op z'n kop is.

Vandaag was geen uitzondering.  De waterkoker aanzetten, het duo-rolgordijn in de keuken omhoog, warm vest aan en berichten bekijken. Ja hoor, daar zag ik de naam van m'n vriendin Annette uit New Zealand. Zij komt in juni volgend jaar naar Nederland. Na een week hier gaan wij samen Wales ontdekken. Ik vind het zo bijzonder dat onze vriendschap zo sterk is dat afstand er niet toe doet. We blijven leuke dingen doen samen. Nederland boeit haar enorm. Ze is leergierig over de geschiedenis en 'opmaak' van Nederland als land. Zo gaaf om dat door te geven. Annette was recentelijk ook mijn 'invalster/stand-in' oma in tijd van nood.

Ik keek verder, ja hoor, mijn zoon in Australië is online. Ik zie dat hij aan het typen is. Ping, daar is het bericht. " Mum, what do you think of these dates? Are they ok? Let me know." Mijn oma hartje klopt wat sneller. Zou het er nu echt van komen? Word mijn droom werkelijkheid? Ik klik op de link die hij mee heeft gestuurd. Mijn hand trilt. Ja, het is een voorstel van een reisbureau. Met Cathay Pacific. Ach heden, ik zweef van geluk. NATUURLIJK zijn de datums prima. Oh wat een begin van mijn dag. Ik voel mij bevoorrecht, trots, blij, emotioneel. Mijn kleinzoon komt ECHT! Na het bezoek van mijn dochter en haar gezin 2 jaar geleden komt nu ook mijn kleinzoon. Geweldig toch?

Hij en mijn schoondochter hadden de mail ontvangen van het reisbureau en wilde meteen dingen afronden. De stoel zou 48 uur in wacht gezet worden. Nu kon hij meteen de knoop doorhakken.

Berichtje van mijn kleinzoon. " Oma, I am so excited and happy, but also bit scared".( he meant apprehensive). Hij zal dan net 18 zijn wanneer hij aan dit avontuur begint. Zo'n vlucht is niet niks. Hij heeft ook maar een hele korte stopover. Net genoeg om van het ene naar het ander vliegtuig te verkassen. Bij de terugreis zit er wat meer ruimte in - dan is dat ook wat minder onbekend. Het komt helemaal goed. Dat weet ik zeker. Snap wel dat het eventjes 'eng' uitziet.

Mijn hoofd loopt over met ideeën en plannen. Straks kom ik nog tijd te kort. Hij heeft, tussen aankomst en vertrek, precies 8 weken. Ik zweef nog even na. De dag van omaverweg  kan niet meer stuk!


Like most people I too have a ritual each morning. I put on the jug, open the roller blind in the kitchen and proceed to check my messages. As I live in a topsy - turvy world, with my children and grandchildren in New Zealand and Australia, it often happens that they update me while I'm asleep. My friends there also post or send updates which I read while having breakfast.

The first name I come across is that of my dear friend Annette. The one who was my stand-in recently. Next June Annette will be visiting me again and staying a week or so before she and I toddle off to Wales. How special a friendship we have - where distance doesn't deter our ongoing interaction and involvement in each other's lives. Not that friends who don't visit are any less special. It is that Annette's interests lie in Europe too - so it makes it easier for her to plan her trips here occasionally. Her interest in Nederland is genuine and loves learning all there is to know history wise and about the lay of the land and it's customs. A learning time for us too while she is here.


I spot my son's name and see he is 'typing'. As the message reaches me I can only guess at it's contents. And I quote, " Mum, what do you think of these dates? Are they ok? Let me know." Oh my, my heart is pounding. I know I have a huge grin on my face. Are the dates ok? YES, they are AWESOME. I now know for a fact, my dream is becoming a reality. Pride, joy, gratitude, excitement. My body is awash with emotions. My grandson is REALLY coming. It is going to happen. After having had my daughter and her family here 2 years ago, I now get the change to spend quality time with my grandson.

After to-ing and fro-ing with messages my son decides to confirm the flights. The options were reserved for 48 hours but he thought it best to get confirmation straight away.

My grandson also sent me a message. Oma, I am so happy, but also bit scared ( he meant apprehensive)". It is quite something. He will just have turned 18 when he embarks on this journey. Not bad. Traveling alone and into the unknown. To help the transition, he only has a short stopover in transit. On the return flight there is more room to look around. It won't be quite so intimidating then. I understand his remark. Even I, having made this trip often these past 17 years, get butterflies.

My feet haven't touched the ground yet. I am euphoric. My head is full of possibilities. I'd better reign the thoughts in. If I am not careful the timeline will fill itself and we'll need and extension. Not only will the plane fly- but our time together will as well. My day will go into memory as 'special' and one of those pearls to treasure. A dream is being fulfilled....! That is SPECIAL.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Dankjewel Aritha. Ja ik be ontzettend blij en tel mn zegeningen.

      Delete