Tuesday 12 July 2016

Spending time with the grandchildren

It is summer holiday time here in Nederland. Even the politicians have called a summer halt to their activities - and rightly so. Everyone deserves a break to recharge their batteries.

It is also noticable that newspapers are thinner as newsy articles are not as prevalent as in 'working' hours so to speak! On tv there are re-runs of 'old masters' and lots of entertainment for the younger generation in the form of films and such.

This morning at breakfast I quickly snatched a brief look in the morning paper when I stumbled on a 'summer filler'. An article on grandparents who have availed themselves to have the grandchildren stay over while the mums and dads are at work.

Yes, I get a tug at my heartstrings - but this is only short lived as the reality check kicks in.

Anyway, it wasn't so much the 'staying over' but the comment at the end that was comforting to read. At the close of each interview the grandparents commented on their 'fatigue' at the end of each day having spent amusing and entertaining their grandchild/children.

When I visit my 'grandies' Down Under, I spend lots of time with them. I try to make each day count. Time spent with them is short but valuable and intense. Yes, they have their school, sports and friends activities- but there is time to just 'be' with me. Whether I drop them off, accompany them to their other activities or spend time at home with them - we can be together.

It is a super luxurious privilege that I have my own apartment where I can stay- so I too can 'invite' the children to breakfast or dinner. Another possibility is that i cook at their granddad's home- and the children all come for tea there. So much fun and gives me such a warm feeling and joy.

At the end of the day I am generally 'whacked'. Yes, I dare to admit my weakness- I am drained and weary. This bothered me for ages - but now, I am liberated. Other grandparents are tired too. Here I was thinking it was because I am 'out of practice' but it is NORMAL.

So to all you wonderful, super nans and grans, omas and opas. Enjoy, and know - you are AMAZING! And to all those grandies everywhere- enjoy the time your grandparents spend with you - they are true heros.

I am recharging my batteries - will need to be totally perked up for when my next opportunity arrises.

No comments:

Post a Comment