Tuesday 5 July 2016

Sharing the joys and experiences and cuddles

A very dear friend of mine - well actually dear friends of ours - plural is better in this case! have been treated to the best news of the year. Their daughter is pregnant and having her first baby.

The joy isn't only because of her pregnancy, her brother has already blessed them with 2 grandsons, but this time- the baby/grandchild will be closer to home. My friend is also an 'Omaverweg' and sees her grandsons 2 sometimes 3 times a year, when they ( oma and opa) pop over to or the family comes over from, Norway to Nederland.

We share stories, photos, the odd tear and laughter when newsy bits arrive in mailboxes, messages or wee film clips over the phone. When the going gets tough - when we want to 'touch, cuddle and kiss' we console each other and reminisce about the times we were in their presence and did have cuddles, cold wee feet on our legs in bed or snotty noses in our hair.

And now, the prospect of a grandchild at 2 hours distance is cause for celebration and joy. My husband and I have been dubbed ' oom en tante'/uncle and aunt and get to see the echos and updates on the progress. And when I pass a children's wear shop I get the itching to purchase something. I am then also acutely aware of how far away my 'littlies' are - and how they grown and change in the spaces when I am not around.

My dear friends in NZ whom I love dearly, also shared those joys when I lived Down Under. And now with grandchildren arriving both here and there - it is lovely to see these 'kids' growing up to be adults and parents full of enthusiasm as we once were. It is wonderful to be part of this extended family when one's own family is spread world wide. I am truly blessed to have a 'home' both here and Down Under - though here are my roots and this is the place I feel most at home.

Pitter patter of little feet. How lovely and joyful. Never too old to enjoy that sound.



No comments:

Post a Comment