Monday 25 July 2022

Once was an opinion welcome

It's all about which way you look!



It's all about which way you look! I was attracted to a clipart/gif picture quite some years ago now and used it many a time in my other blog A day in the life of . I've stopped using that blog but the items will stay online. Lots of good reading there I may add. Anyway, in that blog I wrote about events which happened or about subjects which got my attention one way or another. I'm not fussed about whether people agree with my ramblings. Writing often helps put things into perspective. When I read back a few weeks later I sometimes see a shift in my thoughts and findings. That means I've grown, learnt more or visions have changed. If I still feel the same, then I acknowledge that. I am neither right or wrong. I'm me! So today I decided I'd take the plunge and write about something(s) which have 'hung around'  for a while and just won't let me go.

Before I start my ramble: the word OPINION is MY opinion, MY vision, MY perception My thoughts.  Not right- not wrong, or left or right. Just another way of looking at something.

Thought number 1!

Mary buys groceries which include snack items, fizzie drinks and not to forget the weekly 3 bottles of wine. She also needs to purchase vegetables, dairy products, meat and household items. Her purse is smaller than her wants ( NOTE: wants)

Me: Mary needs help to learn how to budget so she can on the special occasions purchase 'extras' and enjoy them exactly as that: EXTRAS. I was trying to reflect when chips/crisps, fizzie drink and wine became daily items instead of birthday and feast day fare. Nothing special about a bag of chips/crips now is there?

Now I've been blasted for this. That I don't understand her situation, that she should be able to make her own decisions etc etc etc. That I begrudge her her extras after all, she's in a bit of a bad way, hard times etc. 

Well, that's true, things have not gone well the past couple of years.  In the meantime Mary has applied for a special benefit and the food bank. This is where I then re-iterate: Mary needs a lesson/support in budgeting. The food bank is for those who can't even buy the basics, let alone the extras. This isn't helping Mary improve her situation. It isn't teaching her to fish, this is putting the ambulance under the cliff. I am not right nor wrong. I voiced an opinion. My thinking, my way of seeing how a problem could be solved. Not should be solved. It may just give Mary some prospect of a far better future and a feeling of self worth and respect. People react so aggressively that I now avoid becoming involved in discussions. I internally have a private chat and hope someone somewhere also sees a way to help Mary improve her situation before things get even harder for her.


Now the "Holy Grail" thought number 2 - Newcomers political or otherwise.

As per 2015 we have 200 nationalities in this country ( Netherlands). People obviously are attracted to the country for various reasons. As of the 31 January 2022 the total population was 17.597.607. The prospect is that in 2028 we will have a population of 18 million. Now if that was in Australia, Canada, America to name a few XXL sized countries outside of Europe I'd say- amazing. Wow. Great. Have you googled how small this country is? I wonder if the people who come here do that before they choose 'us'. We've just been to France - spacious, green - beautiful. Plenty of space to build another city as big as Paris and creating at the same time possibilities for housing, employment, education, health and welfare.

In 2020 we had 517 people per km2. Land mass 41.543 km². Germany's landmass is 357.588 km2 and has 232 population per km2. A heated discussion is happening here about the number of refugees who are having to sleep outdoors ( it is summer and sweltering hot) in the over full refugee camps. One thing needs to be said: Their plight is not to be sneezed at or minimalized. What they have gained is a safety net and distance between them and the danger they left behind. Cities, townships and smaller communities are being affected with housing problems ( we don't have enough even for the population already living here) and the world is on fire regarding climate change etc. Where are we to house these people? Yes, they are welcome, NO I am not a racist or anti whatever? I am genuinely concerned - FOR everyone and their safe, happy and healthy future.

Now don't twist this to say I want to 'get rid' of any particular group - it's the people volume that is the issue. It's the pressure of 'us' all living so squashed that we as a population are losing the space to breath. Which in turn doesn't bring out the best in many people. Like all living beings, space is an essential part of our psyche. A place to retreat to, to re-charge batteries, to have a moment of silence, privacy. The strain on all services are showing  signs of collapse. Cracks appearing in social formation and structure. If anything, COVID19 has proven once again that living like ants on an ant hill isn't the most healthy system at all.

The world has changed. The distance traveled in past centuries was restricted due to the inability (yet) to fly or drive. Boats brought more speed and distance. The explorer, the inquisitor wanted more. To see what was around the corner or over the horizon. New worlds were being discovered. Populated. Taken over. Confiscated even. The world has shrunk. We can replace ourselves into any country we chose. 

Now this overcrowding isn't only something here in the Netherlands. Somehow we humans have converged together seeking companionship and the communities grew. There was safety in numbers and hunting together was practical. Now we hunt for space to be alone. To have some autonomy. How can this problem be addressed in a way that personal wellbeing and protection of ethnic customs and practices are maintained. That languages and customs are honored and kept alive. How do we do that? How do we discuss these issues and really listen to each other without jumping all over each other with accusing finger pointing and yelling louder and louder? If we don't break this discussion open and be generous with our compassion, empathy and realism we won't solve anything for anyone. 

Just one more thought: Have you ever flown? Do you recall the flight attendant  say to the parents or those traveling with someone in their care, " Please put your life jacket/mask on FIRST"? I understand the residents who have been on waiting lists for years for a home be upset when newcomers are given priority. Not a good thing for the relationship between the groups involved. Just saying.....!


I am more concerned about our people problem than I am about whether the ice cap is melting. Because right now - why save a world we aren't even capable of sharing?


Be good       Be kind       Keep smiling


4 comments:

  1. Firstly, I love the gif picture - it’s so cute! Secondly, I think they should teach budgeting in Schools. Such an important topic. It’s so hard to go without some of the little good things in life, at least once in a while. In the UK and in the USA we have a wonderful diversity of cultures. However, in the UK, our population is increasing so quickly we don’t have enough space to fit everyone in, and so many cannot afford to rent or buy a home. In Arizona, where we currently live, there is an abundance of space, but there are big concerns about climate change and there not being enough water for everybody. My main concern is climate change, and without direct action now, there will be so many areas of the planet that will be impossible to survive in. I really enjoyed reading your edgy vlog, Anita. It really comes across that you are someone who cares about humanity and the future of your home country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I thought I was comment as “Julie” not Anonymous!

      Delete
    2. I so understand Julie, and I totally agree about being able to spoil one's self with a treat occasionally. That's the murky perspective isn't it, seeing a treat for what it is. Climate change is a reoccurring issue...looking back in history. There have been a few since time began. With modern technology, demands on resources and indeed the increase in population world wide the pressure is on to come to terms with the repercussions of the way we manage the world. Let's hope that everyone accepts that responsibility and consumer habits change, we are more trash conscious and take personal responsibility for how we utilize water, energy and food. Thanks for your caring response, with people like you, we can make a difference. Awareness is half way to solving many issues. Have a wonderful day Julie.

      Delete
    3. I pushed Save too soon: Indeed budgeting OUGHT ( my thoughts as a retired teacher) to be taught in schools. It would also help if parents went back to giving pocket money ( even $1 a week is plenty) so a child learns to save for an item and is rewarded for contributing to the running of the household in some way. Another lessen being that again 'we' work as a team to keep things organised. 👍

      Delete