Tuesday 19 July 2022

How meaningful is language?

 

"It's only words and words are all I have" ..to say what I have to say!


Recently on tv I heard an interviewer questioning public of all ages about abbreviations and the modern text language. His question was: "Do you always know or understand what someone is trying to say to you or message they have for you?"  In this ever speedy world we live in, when news travels faster the the speed of light, do we make ourselves clear when communicating? Is a quick message on the phone with BRB ( Be Right Back) and a 👍 polite? One gentleman, say age wise around the mid 60s said, " oh the young people don't use words, they use those pictograms. You know, those funny face things like a smiley. I've got them on my phone too but don't really know why or when I should use them." Another comment was, " "Why should students learn to write? They can't spell anymore they just use abbreviations. I never now what my children are on about these days! 

Well, the abbreviations and bad spelling is something that's very evident when I see posts online. Now I am not a language buff, expert or champion. I make grammatically technical mistakes and know it. I do like language(s) though. I also think we need clear, concise and comprehensible language skills to stay in communication with each other. To continue the dialogue about who we are, what we mean and what our intensions, hope and dreams are.

There is so much to learn about language, spoken, written, or symbolized in pictograms or sign language. My language, your language. I've Googled some information: 

History

The language dates back to roughly 150,000 years ago. However, all the linguistic evidence dates back to around 6000 years ago, when writing began. Consequently, the major history of language is discovered through guesses and written evidence that is much newer than the era that the linguists study.

No comments:

Post a Comment