Wednesday 15 June 2022

Fulfilling a schoolgirl's wish: part 1.


They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.


My primary school years, well most of them, were in New Zealand. The war history lessons contained, for obvious reasons, references from an English perspective. New Zealand is part of the British Commonwealth. On April the 25th the ANZAC ( Australian- New Zealand- Army- Corps) commemoration ceremonies are held. To embrace one’s new homeland, it was deemed important to absorb this history as one’s own. In the early ‘60s right up to the ‘70s we immigrants were encouraged to speak English even at home. It would help us become part of the community, people and culture. My parents were expressly asked to not speak Dutch with us as it would harm our integration process. Best we ‘left that behind us’!

I conquered the ‘th’ pretty quickly and worked hard at sounding just like my classmates. Believe me when I say bullying isn’t a new phenomena. It isn’t! Kids were cruel then and are still cruel today. I feel for new settlers for whatever reason they need to leave their homeland. It’s a harder road to hoe than one anticipates, becoming part of a new culture while not denying one’s own.


Anyway, moving on. 


In Europe, one can be confronted with war memorials almost anywhere. Places which were heavily under attack, damaged or even destroyed. In New Zealand the war was fought overseas. Their men and women travelled to where they were needed. There are no buildings, areas or places bombed and destroyed. So all one learnt about the war was abstract. We read Anna Frank’s diary. I recall feeling a sense of pride. She was one of us ( the Dutch girl in
me) ! We saw film footage of Dunkirk. I recall a movie I saw as a child and I am sure it was called something like The Albatros, or featured an albatros featuring a recluse on a beach, the boats, the panic, the rallying of fishermen etc to save as many of the military from a sure death. This was something so real, so fascinating, and as I said, so abstract that it stayed with me to this day.


I needed to visit Dunkirk, Normandy and places from the history books and stories. I needed to see the poppy fields. It was number one on my list. I am grateful Leen, my husband, understood. 


I felt the history! I wasn’t alone I didn’t imagine it. Another couple who walked where I walked, said the same. They had goosebumps on their arms to prove it. 


I was in contact with a lady In New Zealand who I knew through a FB group I belong to. Her mother had served as a nurse overseas, including Dunkirk. I shared some of the images and my experience with her. It helped her ( her words) understand her mother’s story more. 


The world has moved on. The area where so much bloodshed happened has too. A whole boulevard has been realised. Apartments, shops, a beach to use recreationally. Quite a statement. I am actually quite pleased in the sense that we are now free to enjoy this part of the world in that freedom for which so many died. 


Freedom and war:  is still abstract. The senselessness of war! The killing, the destroying. A big SIGH filled with sadness escaped me as I wrote this just now. Smile at a stranger and you'll change the world.



Be good - be kind - keep smiling


Link to the YouTube channel: Re -Tour de France: Dunkirk

No comments:

Post a Comment