Monday 30 May 2022

Roaming the Gloaming

 Hello there, here I am again, good to see you back reading my blog! 


It’s funny how one thought leads to another, just as one event links itself to another. Cause and effect. Forget the butter at the supermarket then you can forget the baking plans you had at home. Some people are creative in that situation and manage to conjure up an alternative to the forgotten butter and overcome the hurdle. A new plan is made, adjustments all round and the cake tasted great. Who knew!


Bit of a simple example. There are many more, far more reaching and impacting but let’s keep it simple. At 6:40 am no one is expecting me to write a theses or are they? Just kidding. This cause and effect, or have an alternative plan, or thoughts chasing thoughts came to development due to a news item last week and it popped up again yesterday.


Monkeypox disease I believe it is called. It made me feel uncomfortable. A de ja vu feeling crept over me. Now in various parts of the world this viral disease is manifesting itself. Sort of out of nowhere, the land of origin is known, but lo and behold it is becoming wider spread than ever before. It has traveled! Just like you and I do when we decide to move from one place to another. Or when the wind blows and transferes pollen, seeds, odours. When storms bring Sahara sand from the Sahara to places far removed and reminds us there are dryer places in our world, closer than we realise. That sand storms happen.  


That de ja vu wasn’t surprising. Let’s face it, I will not be the only one who is caught out thinking, “No,  not another illness we can’t contain?” People travel. I’m doing that right now.  What am I leaving behind and/ or taking back? Am I even leaving anything behind other than my footsteps and impressions by those we’ve met? Am I taking more back than photos, impressions, memories and maybe a wine and cheese or two?


It was end of September to mid October 2019. For three weeks we were in France. We stayed in the Morvan for a week and two weeks in the Cévennes. ( I’ll put the link below) Wonderful holiday it was. We traveled there and traveled back. In June 2020 I had plans to travel to Cornwall and Devon with my friend, who lives in New Zealand by the way, so she had even more traveling to do than I, being just across the pond from the UK. Then round September I would go visit my children and grandchildren again. My last visit being early March to mid May 2019. Plans were forged. Travel, we humans travel. Some more than others I admit, but travel we do. Short and long distances. Not just for a holiday. Some travel for work. World wide.


What do we take and leave behind and what do we bring back? So there is my thought chasing a thought. To travel and learn, be enthralled at what one sees, experiences? Or do we stay in our own environment and not take anything with us or leave anything behind?


I’m an optimistic realist/ realistic optimist! We have choices to make based on not only our own needs but also for the ‘common good’. Now it is no use blaming Bill Gates and the micro chip ( sorry had to get in). We only have humanism to look at as far as responsibility is concerned. We make the choices. 


The world became populated because people traveled. In search of food, comfort, a space of their own. People mingled, groups were formed and split up…more movement. Diaspora, the dispersion or spread of any people from their original homeland. Our feet have been a mode of transport since time began. Are we able to not travel? What will that achieve? Like the butter, what could be our alternative? To still have the cake(travel) but no butter. I guess like we are experiencing now it is the use of vaccines. If you want to travel, then there will be the need to protect not only one’s self but vaccinate for the common good. Is that the answer or is it No More Travel?


Be good - be kind - keep smiling ( now there’s a thought!)



Talk about traveling: Check out this link to my channel OmaFarAway.


France 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment