Sunday 7 March 2021

Changing seasons - Up North and Down Under

 

Another change in season is upon us. Here, in Europe, spring is beckoning. Winter isn't ready to let go. Like me, farewelling someone or a place I feel at home in can be hard. Dawdling, looking back. Finding ways to prolong the inevitable. Winter will eventually leave us and go find it's purpose elsewhere.

In New Zealand the first signs of Autumn have appeared. Schools are back in full swing after a long hot summer. The evenings are lengthening. A quick dip in the backyard swimming pool will soon just be a memory. Keen to recapture that later in the year when the cycle repeats itself.

The changes in weather also bring changes in behaviour. In availability between me and my loved ones. They are home more, inside. Soon too, the clocks will alter to winter/summer time schedules, like we have been doing for many years. Right now, I have a 12 hour time difference with New Zealand and 10 with Australia. They charge on ahead of us here in Europe. At the end of this month, things will change. And somehow, even though the calculations are easier now, the timing with the change is better. I am looking forward to a few more better planned video contact moments.

Truth be told, I'd rather join them personally. It has been too long since I hugged and saw my family. But alas, we mustn't dwell on what isn't but be thankful of what is. During a recent video moment I promised the children I'd create a 'homework' project for them. The youngest ones that is. The older grandchildren have their high school studies all set out for them,. The primary level children have different schedules and interests for now. So today I am going to get the package sorted and mailed. I'm excited to be able to share my teaching skills in an oma sort of way.

I am so proud of all my grandchildren. Adults, almost adults, almost teens and young people. I have all ages in my 'care' as oma. I love them all with all my heart and appreciate each talent and personality. So diverse and a delight. I know I chose to be an 'oma far away', and never have imagined the emotions, the heartbreak ( at times) and missing you would be. I try to be as much an oma as I can and resign myself ( with difficulty) to all that I can't be. 

On that cheerful note: Sorry mustn't get maudlin, I'm off to be creative for some gorgeous people.

Want some visuals of OmaFarAway. Go to OmaFarAway on YouTube.



No comments:

Post a Comment